Monday, March 3, 2008

Personal Change

I've talked about changes that we, as senior I.T. leaders, have to make to our own organizations but what about more personal changes. Like when you find yourself looking for new opportunties. Anyone who has found themselves in a job search knows how difficult (on every level) that process can be.

Here are some things that those of you who have not been on a job search need to think about - network, network and network. I was fortunate to work for a boss who was a natural networker - he built his network without thinking about it and taught many of us by example. I'm not a natural networker. I have to think about it - but I do it. I do it because that network is now a background for many things that I do professionally. My list now numbers slightly over 1000 contacts (I went through it recently and deleted duplicates - people who I've lost track of and a few that are no longer with us).

I use that list if need a technical opinion, have a leadership question, when I'm helping friends look for jobs and when I've looked for a job.

We all have networks - we're just not very organizated about it. So first bit of advice. Gather all of your contacts in one place (electronically). If you need it in multiple places - join Plaxo - which will allow you to synch that list to multiple computers. Then take the time to put all of your contacts into that list. Take your business cards (suppliers, peers, friends, etc) into the list, add those friends who's numbers you know by heart. If you are on LinkedIn - use the vCard function to get the people in that list into contacts.

Once you have a good start - send a message, call or write to 5 contacts a week - just say hi - forward an interesting story, make a plan to meet for lunch. Build your network now - you'll find that you use it often and you are going to need it some time - when you find yourself in the middle of a change.