Monday, March 31, 2008

Business Week - 10 Rules for Getting Ahead


I was reading Business Week over the weekend and came across a very interesting article / slide show entitled "10 rules on getting ahead". The article is a great summary of the things that we all need to do to get ahead in life. It applies to life in corporate America, a job search and to a limited degree to getting what we all want out of our personal lives (the things that we do for fun beyond work).

There are several key messages. First, it's about your network - build it, use it, don't abuse it. Second, it's about knowing where you are going and being able to articulate your vision. Third, be flexible. Interestingly, it is also has a page on your on-line presence - a LinkedIn profile - a Blog - Podcasts and even Twitter...

Another important idea is that we must sell ourselves - all of the time. Everyone (who wants to get ahead) should all have an "elevator" speech" (probably more than one). A 30 second spiel on ourselves, what we want in a job, a consulting contract, a big project, etc. We must be able to articulate what we want in life.

In my earlier post "Personal Change" I outlined my thoughts (to the degree that one can in a blog post) on networking. But I liked what I saw in the BW article and will be putting those suggestings into action. I'm even going to check out twitter... ;-)

No comments: